Barkleigh Honors, the grooming industry’s new way to recognize outstanding achievement, held its first award ceremony recently at Groom Expo in Hershey, PA. The gala event was hosted by industry favorite, Jay Scruggs.
“This was the first time our industry has had an all-encompassing awards ceremony to honor groomers and others who have made significant contributions to our industry,” stated Todd Shelly, President of Barkleigh Productions.
Barkleigh Honors was presented with all the glamour of Hollywood. The evening started with a standing ovation for Sally Liddick, founder of Barkleigh Productions. Next an elegant meal was served, followed by Groom Expo’s Best in Show winner, Melissa Fidge, being awarded the prestigious John Nash Memorial Orchid and trophy from Larry and Shirlee Kalstone.
Once the Barkleigh Honors ceremony began, a video screen projected photographs of each category nominee. As the winner’s names were announced, they made their way to the podium to accept a handsome, personally engraved Barkleigh Honors medal.
Sam Kohl was recognized for the evening’s highest honor, the Sally Liddick Lifetime Achievement Award. Sam has invested over 40 years in the grooming industry. He is credited with designing innovative grooming tools, training groomers and publishing the first books available to advance the art of grooming.
The Barkleigh Honors 2011 winners are:
- Michell Evans for Competitive Groomer of the Year
- Sam Hoi for Up and Coming Groomer of the Year
- Angela Kumpe for Competitive Creative Groomer of the Year
- Lori Craig for All Time Favorite Creative Cover (“Lion King” Groomer to Groomer Jan/Feb 2010)
- Chuck Simons for Contribution to the Industry (Marketing Executive for GroomTeam USA, organized and hosted dinner to recognize GroomTeam at Intergroom 2011)
- Frank Brown for the Gwen Shelly Cordiality Award (outstanding hospitality at grooming shows)
- ANDIS Company for Sponsor of the Year
- Breathe Healthy Mask for New Product of the Year
- Christina Pawlosky for Speaker of the Year
- Olga Zabelinskaya for Up and Coming Speaker of the Year
- Lisa Leady for Judge of the Year
- Dawn Omboy for Contribution to Creative Grooming (sharing her knowledge through Groomer to Groomer articles, teaching and activity on social sites)
- Teri DiMarino for Journalist of the Year (Getting Down to Business column in Groomer to Groomer)
- Sue Zecco and Jay Scruggs for Video/Video Series of the Year ( Super Styling Sessions)
- Barbara Bird for Blog of the Year (BBird’s GroomBlog)
- PetGroomer.com for Website of the Year.
Barkleigh Honors 2012 award ceremony will be held on September 8, 2012 in conjunction with Groom Expo in Hershey, PA. Become a fan of Barkleigh Productions on Facebook to learn more about voting for next year’s awards.